Saturday, September 22, 2012

Poverty Around the World


After many struggles to contact EC professionals in other countries, I have come up dry, and will be using the alternate assignment. 


This week I listened to a podcast via the World Forum Foundation radio website http://www.worldforumfoundation.org/wf/radio.php.  The podcast I listened to was with Mr. Meridas Eka Yora.  He is the founder and director of Fajar Hiayah for Islamic Education and director of the Yayasan Fajar Hidayah Foundation.  As many of us remember, there was a great earthquake in 2004 located in the Indian Ocean.  Indonesia was the closest land to the epicenter of this earthquake, and the territory of Aceh was devastated.  225 Indonesians died and 500k were left homeless.  In the wake of this devastation, what are homeless orphans to do?  Where are they to go?  This organization ran preschools for these orphans.  They also had nurses and psychologists for the children.  Yora spoke of a holistic approach to care.  He said it gives a family-feeling to the children. 


I hoped to find information about Indonesian childhood poverty from the CHIP organization (http://www.childhoodpoverty.org/), but I saw information for China, India, Kyrgyzstan, and Mongolia.  I chose India because it is on the Indian Ocean like Indonesia, and unlike the other three options.  Also, we have a large Indian population in Richmond, VA.   


I learned that India is home to the majority of poor people in South Asia.  Almost half of the population is under the age of 18, and half of those children are malnourished.  India is also home to the largest number of working children in the WORLD…nearly 1/3 of these children are under 16 years of age.  This makes me uncertain if I should buy thing “made in India” to support these poor souls, or abstain from buying these products to boycott child labor.  I am amazed at the poverty level in this country…more than 25%.  Surprising enough as this is, the poverty level in Richmond, VA is 25%. I live in Henrico County (neighbor to Richmond City) and our poverty level is 9%, with a state-wide poverty level of 10%.  I can’t imagine if my entire country operated at this level of poverty.


(Poverty statistics for Virginia retrieved from www.census.gov)

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Rene it is sad to here these iusses of our wonderful world, but it has been great information to know, and I can now do what I can with the programs I have gain kwonledge of. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rene,
    I listened to the same podcast as you this week. I think many young children suffer traumatic experiences as the children in Indonesia did due to the tsunami, which affect further development. This is a major hurdle to overcome and provide supportive services so children can flourish. I cannot imagine how difficult it must be for many of those children to take the place of lost parents, or to be completely orphaned and try to regroup and focus on education, when survival is so difficult.

    ReplyDelete