Friday, September 7, 2012

Connections and Explorations in the EC Field

Here I am again...back at my keyboard...typing about my passion. 

This course will hopefully be the eyeglasses into my field that allow me to see more clearly the issues that we face as Early Childhood (EC) professionals.  Through this course I hope to gain more tolerance and understanding of those who are and who think differently from me.  This week's post is the beginning of a 2 part journey...the first part is a connection with an EC professional in another country...the second part is expanding my resources through website exploration.  Here are my findings form the week:
 
At first, my efforts to make a connection with EC professionals in other countries had proven exhausting and fruitless.  I spent hours searching blogs, and sending emails.  All of my emails were met with delivery failure notifications.  So, I tried something different.  I went back to the blog of a classmate I met a few months ago, and in her blog for this class (which she took LAST 8 weeks), she mentioned that she knew many people (friends and family) in Indonesia that are in the EC field.  I leapt for joy a little on the inside when I saw this!  I quickly sent her a message for some contact information and I am waiting to hear back.  I also have a co-worker who is from Serbia and I plan on asking her for help contacting someone she might know in Serbia in the EC field.  There is hope yet and I’m not quite ready to give up. 

The second part of my international journey the next eight weeks is finding more resources and expanding my library of places to turn for EC information and guidance.  I looked through many websites.  One of my favorites is the Zero to Three website because I work with infants.  I explored this site in detail in another one of my classes and if you have not yet, I HIGHLY recommend it!  Unfortunately, I have already explored this site and wanted to broaden my horizons a bit with something more international.  In search of another site, I explored many, but one really caught my eye:  http://www.issa.nl/global.html. 
 
This is the International Step by Step Association.  In all my efforts to find an EC professional in another country, this organization kept popping up.  When I explored it further, I saw that their main focus seems to be supporting EC professionals.  Bingo!  There is a books and tools tab that connects you to all kinds of great resources for EC teachers.  There was also contact information for each country’s ISSA Core Member.  I very much look forward to exploring this website in depth. 

4 comments:

  1. Hello Rene,
    Thank you for your post and expressing how I have been feeling. I, too, have made contact but as of this morning I still have not heard anything. Thank you for sharing this website as well. It appears to be really interesting and informative. No matter the issue we all need resources!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rene,
    I have had the same luck connecting with other professionals internationally as you. I hope we can connect as I am really looking forward to this portion of the class. I can't wait to hear of your exploration through the Step by Step Association website. It is great that we are getting the ability to connect with organizations for practical application of the material we are learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rene,

    I hope your contacts work out! I had to think for a little bit and then I had the thought that there have to be other AEYC's in other countries so basically I started googling. I am SO SO SO excited at the prospect of working with the British assosiation. I also am excited to hear what you learn from Indonesia.

    I am thrilled to be working with you as well over the next 8 weeks. I love to meet other ece professionals. (I have had classes with Joseph and Mandy and love reading their thoughts too!).

    Sincerely,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rene it looks like you have the ball rounding for your connection, and I hope they give you good information to pass along. Indonesia, and Serbia are very good places to receive information about Early Childhood Development. Enjoy and enbrace the wonderful information, and I hope you have as much fun as me as we move forward in our profession.

    ReplyDelete