Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Global Resources - International Step by Step Association


As I stated in my last blog post, I have chosen the International Step by Step Association for my web resources exploration – http://www.issa.nl . 

“The International Step by Step Association (ISSA) is a membership organization that connects professionals and organizations working in the field of early childhood development and education. ISSA promotes equal access to quality education and care for all children, especially in the early years of their lives.”

Google Map of the ISSA Network
Retrieved from the http://www.issa.nl
 
I found this organization on my search for an international contact for the other part of my blog assignment for this class.  I saw the website for the ISSA attached to most of the names and countries on the Global Alliance of NAEYC page and decided to check it out.  My thoughts were that if that many countries had a connection to this organization, it would be well worth my time to check it out.

As I explored this site, my first instinct was to find some sort of newsletter.  I did find a newsletter that the organization puts out, but upon closer examination, I began to notice that all the articles were at least 2 years old…everything was dated 2010 or before.  This puzzled me, so I did some further investigation.  I found a place to become a member, and I believe you can only receive CURRENT newsletters if you are a member, which makes sense.  Being that I am a full time student with a low paying job who was also not in the countries to which the newsletters pertained, I decided to save my money and use the old newsletters that I COULD access instead.  I know that 2 years is rather out of date, but I figured it wasn’t SO out of date that I could not get a broad view of the kinds of things that are going on inside this organization. 

It appears that after some period of time (about 2 years), the newsletters for the ISSA are “released.”  I found a Winter 2010-2011 newsletter and in this newsletter was an article about Eurochild’s 7th Annual Conference.  I read a little further to see what kinds of things might have been the topic of discussion at this conference.  After reading for a while, it seemed very similar to a NAEYC conference.  I have not been to a NAEYC conference, but I have been to and presented at a VAECE conference, which is the Virginia Association of Early Childhood Educators conference, and the topics seemed quite similar. 

One objective that caught my eye because of its correlation to this class of issues and trends in the field of EC, was ”In the framework of the European Year of Combatting Poverty and Social Exclusion, the conference highlighted the importance of EU efforts in helping member states fight child poverty and social exclusion, and brought suggestions of how this effort can be reinforced in the future.”  This was proof to me that America is not the only country that deals with these issues.  As I read on, I also learned that they seem to have some of the same difficulties with funding that we do.

I am excited to dive deeper into this organization that appears to be so similar to those I am already familiar with. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Rene,
    Until reading your post I had never heard of the ISSA, which I believe is a valuable part of this course to learn about different things. I agree that if so many organizations/countries belonged to the ISSA they must be very valuable. I, also, think that the comment regarding poverty is definitely a universal issue in the early childhood field. Unfortunately, most countries will have children and families living at or below the poverty line unless our goverments help more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be very curious to hear more about the similarities you discover with the European professional organization. I had a colleague take a trip to Scottland to visit a nature preschool experience and while in Europe visited a nature preschool in England. She was surprized at the similarities to her own program and the English preschool's outdoor time was not as natural as she had expected, based on their marketing.

    ReplyDelete