Saturday, February 1, 2014

Communication Evaluation



As I evaluated my communication through tests this week, it was interesting to see what I thought about myself and the ways in which I communicate.  As interesting as it was, it was even more interesting to see what others said about me.  I asked my husband, James, and my co-teacher/friend, Elyse, to complete the same tests about me which I completed about myself.  This gave me a snap shot of how others view my communication skills.  We took three tests: Communication Anxiety, Verbal Aggressiveness, and Listening Styles Profile.

Communication Anxiety
This was the only test which showed different results at the end.  I rated myself as having moderate anxiety which means I am somewhat concerned about a number of communication contexts, but probably not all.  This mid-point level of anxiety is situation.  I felt that this accurately described how I felt.  James and Elyse rated me as having lower anxiety – only mild.  This means I only feel a little uneasy in some communication situations and somewhat more confident in other contexts.  In other words, I don’t typically worry a great deal about communication.  These results show me that although I can feel anxious at times, I show less anxiety than I feel.  I am pleased with this test’s results.

Verbal Aggressiveness
This test yielded the same results from both parties.  The results labeled me as only moderately aggressive.  I maintain a good balance between respect and consideration for others’ viewpoints, and the ability to argue fairly by attacking the facts of a position rather than the person holding that position.  I was pleased with these results and glad that I am not viewed as more aggressive.

Listening Styles Profile
This test also yielded the same results from both parties.  I was designated as people-oriented, which means I am empathetic and concerned with the emotions of others.  This enables me to build relationships, but it can interfere with proper judgment because I tend to be very trusting of others. 

As I think of these results in a professional context, I see them benefiting me.  I feel like I am an effective communicator and these results confirm that. 

7 comments:

  1. Hi Rene,
    We got the same results on the tests! Maybe educators are made to be one type of communicators?
    I also were rated by others as not having anxiety to communicate when I scored myself a little anxious. We seem to be good at handling our emotions then. It would have been interesting to give this test to a person who hardly know you and see what first impression you give, before people get to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rene,
    I appears that you are a well-rounded individual. The tests that we took are good indications of who we are as communicators and as people. Do you have any specific things that you do to prepare for speaking in pubic or does it come naturally for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rene,
    I received the same scores that you received. This has been a very interesting evaluation. It has shown me who really knows me as well as they think they do. It is interesting to have friends who may perceive you to be different than you really are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also used a family member and friend to evaluate me. I felt that they would be very honest on what they thought about me in each of these areas. It seems like you are a person that does well in each category and that is a good thing because it shows that you know how to be balanced overall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rene,
    I too yielded similar results to the others that took the questionnaire. As stated by another individual maybe educators are all one type of communicators! Do you find this to be true?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rene My communication score was 48 and my Anxiety score was 60. I think we all scored in about the same ranges. I used a family members and a friend as well to evaluate me. I was surprised that I scored in the same range but that my friend and Family member found me to be intimidating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rene,
    I think it is amazing how those who are closest to you evaluate you similar or different than how you view yourself. I also looked at how these results affected my professional life and I realized that I would do the best that I can to change my the results.

    Thank you for sharing
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete