Sunday, January 5, 2014

Effective Communication

Over the next several weeks, we will be exploring communication and collaboration within the Early Childhood Field.  I look forward to delving deeper into the art of professional communication with each of you.


One person in my life who has demonstrated competent communicate is my co-worker and friend, Cindy.  If you search back through my blog, you will see other posts where I have mentioned Cindy.  She used to be my co-teacher, but they ripped her out of my room and sent her greatness to another age group.  We are no longer co-teachers, but we still work together and most of all, we are friends.


Cindy’s communication skills were always fantastic when we were working so closely in the classroom.  She made eye contact and listened.  We were always clear about responsibilities.  Our levels of communication were always appropriate as well.  If I was out, she was good about letting me know if there were changes I needed to know about regarding students, scheduling, etc.  Her communication was also excellent because she listened.  Listening skills make up half of our ability to effectively communicate.  When I had ideas or concerns, she always listened and made my opinions feel valid.  

Not only is Cindy an effective communicator with adults, but she communicates with children on an equally fantastic level.  Working with infants presents communication challenges because they are pre-verbal.  She showed me how to speak to infants and more importantly, how to listen to infants.  She truly taught me how to be an effective communicator in the classroom.  I have modeled most of my behavior after hers.  

8 comments:

  1. I look forward to working with you this semester. I am glad to hear that you have a co-worker who shows great examples of good communication skills and it is great that although you are no longer in the same classroom that you have all remained friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its always great to know and to be able to learn from great communicators. Great eye contact is a great skill to have. I think depending upon my comfort level, I can have good eye contact. If I am not that comfortable, then eye contact is not so good. Glad your in my class again. I look forward to learning from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my opinion, being a good listener is always the most the most effective form of communication. I love it when someone actually "listens" to me and can respond appropriately. It sounds like you have a great friend and colleague.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also had the chance to once work with a colleague who inspired me and it is so nice and inspiring because it makes us want to be a better teacher. You are indeed lucky to have someone who inspires you and is happy to share her expertise with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rene,
    I agree with you that listening to what each other is saying clears the path for effective communication. There are times when I am talking with my eldest granddaughter and I have found that while I am talking she is already planning what she is going to say to me so she only listens to a portion of what I am saying. I am also looking forward to learning in this course. I want to be more effective with my communication skills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Renee,
    It is truly hard to let go of something so great! It's great that you are still able to collaborate with CIndy. She sounds like a great educator.
    I believe that a great communicator begins from being a great listener and sounds like Cindy is a great listener and validated your opinions.
    Thank you for sharing,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Renee,
    I know it is hard to have to let go of a great partner but as you said at least she is sharing her greatness with another age group of children. Working with children one of the most beneficial qualities to have is to be a good listener.

    Thank you for sharing
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are truly blessed to have such a wonderful coworker and friend. As and educator, it is important to have that type of support in the classroom. I think it is fascinating to have learned the art of speaking and understanding infants. Great post.

    ReplyDelete