Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Man in the Mirror



This course has been hard for several reasons.  First of all, it was a lot more work than any previous courses.  Once I found my rhythm with the workload, I still found it difficult because it required so much self-reflection.  I learned a lot about myself, as well as those around me.  It is my hope that I continue to look at myself and my own viewpoints on the culture and diversity that surrounds me every day in the classroom.  It is my goal to make those with whom I work take a look at themselves as well.  Thank you so much to all of my classmates – it has truly been an engaging and rich experience to go through this class together. 

I was driving to work this morning, and like usual, I had the radio on.  This song came on, and I could not help but think about this course on culture and diversity.  The message of the song is almost word for word the first core proposition for this course.  On the 4th anniversary of his death, I would like to leave you all with the words of Michael Jackson:

I'm Starting With The Man In The Mirror
I'm Asking Him To Change His Ways
And No Message Could Have Been Any Clearer
If You Wanna Make The World A Better Place
Take A Look At Yourself, And Then Make A Change


3 comments:

  1. Rene, I really enjoyed reading your blog this week. That song is very inspirational. I wish you all the best in the future. Good luck on your future course!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rene,
    I absolutely love the connection you made to that song! You are exactly right, we have to reflect on ourselves before we can begin to make any changes, both within ourselves and in the world. I agree that this course was different that any other class I've taken so far. I feel as though I've grown a lot as a result of my learning in regards to culture, diversity, and equity. It was a lot of work, but a different type of work. Thank you and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rene,
    Your blog was absolutely AWESOME! I concur with you about the workload of this course—it was more than the rest. I guess that was because it was a higher level of expectation for us. I have learned so much about me and that was most intriguing to me. Good luck in your future pursuits!
    Yolonda S. Honore’

    ReplyDelete