Saturday, October 27, 2012

Issues and Trends...Fuel for Continual Learning



This course has been amazing for strengthening professional connections for me.  I took a break from my classes at the end of the summer, so I have gotten to know a completely new set of people through this class!  The further I get into my master’s program, the more I enjoy interacting with my classmates.  As my knowledge grows, so does theirs.  This enables our conversations and interactions to be more meaningful. 

When I look at international EC issues, I am torn.  Some of the issues abroad are so much greater than issues here in America.  Then consequence of this is that I think less of our issues in the States.  Although issues abroad might be greater that issues here, I cannot let myself think that our issues are unimportant. 

Another consequence is that through all of my explorations, I have only found more information.  That is more stuff to read, more people to meet/listen to, etc.  These are things that I will have to earmark for exploration at a later time when I am not bogged down with school work.  On the bright side, this gives me more resources for later classes, as well as opportunities for continued learning after class is over.

I think the biggest consequence of learning about the international early childhood field is that I am only getting a birds-eye-view of the issues that exist.  Without actually immersing myself in the EC setting across the world, I cannot get a full 360 degree picture.  This is what has inspired my goal to travel.  Not travel for travel’s sake, but actual travel to immerse myself in my field across the world. 

1 comment:

  1. Rene,
    I like your comment, "Not travel for travel sake". I have always talked about travelling and living in several different countries when my children are grown, so I can make a difference with my skill set in the lives of others, but also so I can truly learn and appreciate the culture and experiences of people globally.
    We are glad to have you with our group now, hope to have more classes together in the future!

    ReplyDelete